Logo de la UNED

Frequently Asked Questions (faq)

1) When can I consider myself to be an international student for purposes of university admission?

When you have completed secondary/high school studies from an education system other than the Spanish system, in accordance with the Organic Law on Education.

2) Are all international student admitted to Spanish Universities in the same way?

No, the university admission system is different depending on the home education system. It is necessary to distinguish between students from countries of the European Union (or having international reciprocity agreements in this area) and students from other education systems. You may find more information on this at the following link.

3) What is the first thing that I need to do if I am a student from a country within the European Union or one that has an international agreement?

First, you should contact the university where you wish to study to confirm that they use UNEDasiss Accreditation in their admissions criteria. Also, you should find out which courses are considered for the degree that you wish to pursue, consulting the weighting grid of said university.

4) What is the first thing you should do if you are not a student from one of the countries of the European Union or one that has an international agreement?

One of the mandatory procedures is the request for the HOMOLOGATION of your studies with the Spanish high school degree. This is done through the MINISTRY OF EDUCATION, CULTURE AND SPORTS. You may find information on this procedure at the following link: Homologación del Bachillerato.
Furthermore, you should consult the university that you wish to attend to learn their admissions criteria and whether or not this university uses the UNEDasiss Accreditation. Also, you should find out which courses are considered for the degree that you wish to pursue, consulting the weighting grid of said university.

5) What is UNEDasiss Accreditation?

UNEDasiss Accreditation is a digital certificate that permits students to participate in the Spanish university admissions processes and that consists of the assessment of the academic transcripts obtained from the international education systems in a homogenous and regulated way. It also includes the scores from the Specific Competency Tests (PCE) taken at the UNED, as well as other services requested by the student.

6) Where can I request the Accreditation that I need?

The Accreditation request may only be made electronically via the UNEDasiss website.

7) When can I request the Accreditation?

It may be requested from the month of February until the month of November of each year. Students that need to take Specific Competency Tests should request Accreditation in the periods established for the exams held in June and September and they may consult thislink.

8) Can I use this accreditation at all Spanish universities?

No. Some universities do not permit UNEDasiss Accreditation for admission to their universities or for certain students. Therefore, student should first check with the university that they wish to attend to determine whether or not UNEDasiss Accreditation will be of use to them.

9) I wish to study at UNED. Do I need to request the UNEDasiss Accreditation?

Students from the European Union or from countries with an international agreement should request the UNEDasiss Accreditation. Students from other countries may be admitted to the diverse degree programs simply with the homologation of their high school degree. You may check the rules of admission to the UNED at the followinglink.

10) What types of services should I request when filling out the Accreditation form?

The Accreditation should include as many services as requested by the university where you wish to study. Most commonly, the university shall request the University Qualifications and the completion of the Specific Competency Tests. In some universities, it is also mandatory to accredit the Baccalaureate mode.

11) In what cases is it necessary to request the minimum requirement verification service?

If you wish to begin your studies at a university that does not require a minimum score and you may access with a minimum score of 5.

12) When should you request the Qualification Service for admission?

It is recommended that you request this service in all cases, both for public universities as well as private ones that use the UNEDasiss Accreditation in their admissions criteria. If you already received an Accreditation that included this qualification, you should only request it if you wish to improve your score for the granted admission.

13) How is the admission score calculated?

The admission score that is established by the UNED will be between 5 and 10 points and is calculated according to the student’s origin:

a) Students from the EU or countries with a reciprocity agreement with studies that are equivalent to the Baccalaureate or FP in Spain.

The admissions score is calculated based on the minimum and maximum passing rates from the qualification scales of each education system and in accordance with the criteria and requirements specified in Annex II of the Reglamento UNEDAsiss for each education system.

b) Students that can homologate their studies to the Spanish Bachillerato:

The admission score is obtained with a maximum weighting of 60% from the scores obtained on their academic transcript and 40% from the Specific Competency Tests (PCE) taken at the UNED. The formula to be applied is as follows:

Admission score = (0,2 x NMB + 4) + 0,1 x M1 + 0,1 x M2 + 0,1 x M3 + 0,1 x M4

NMB= Mean grade from high school.
M1-4 = Best score obtained in up to four Specific Competency Tests (PCE) taken over the calendar year of the exam, assuming distinct courses and obtaining at least one score of 5 out of 10. In no case shall scores from previous years be considered, or those of more than 4 PCE be considered for the admission score calculation.

14) The university requests a maximum score of over 10 points. How can I raise my score?

The admission score calculated by UNED is a maximum of 10 points. The destination university may give up to 4 additional points depending on their admission criteria. The student should be notified by the destination university as to how it may obtain these additional points and adjust their Accreditation to these requirements.

15) In what cases should the Bachillerato mode be requested?

It is only necessary if requested by the destination university in its admission criteria.

16) What should I consider when requesting the Bachillerato mode so that it is granted to me?

If your studies are equivalent to the EU’s Baccalaureate, the mode is obtained with the courses from your own academic transcript. In other cases, the mode shall only be granted if the Specific Competency Tests demanded for each mode are approved, and this may be consulted in the following link.

17) What are the Specific Competency Tests (PCE)

They are tests offered by UNEDasiss for specific subjects. Completion of the Specific Competency Tests (PCE) is necessary for all students wishing to improve their university admission score. For more information on these tests, see the following link.

18) How many course areas of the Specific Competency Tests (PCE) must be taken?

UNEDasiss offers the possibility of taking a maximum of 6 subjects:

a)For those students coming from countries within the European Union or from countries having international agreements (Annex I of the Regulation), in their first application it is recommended that they take at least two course areas, unless the admission note demands that it be of 5 points.

b)For those students that are NOT from countries within the European Union or having International agreements, in their first application it is recommended that they take at least four course areas.

The student is obligated to take at least six course areas of Specific Competency Tests when so required by the university where they wish to study, or when said university requires them to adapt the course areas of the Specific Competency Tests to the EBAU (Spanish test).

19) I have passed Specific Competency Tests in the past year. Should I take the exams again?

It depends on what you need to use the test results for, since the following must be distinguished with regards to the validity of the PCE:

a)For the calculation of the admission score made by the UNED (maximum score of 10 points) they only use the PCE from the calendar year of the convening period and the score from the student’s academic transcript. In no case shall the results of PCE test taken in previous years be considered. Once this calculation has been made, the Accreditation obtained has a validity of two years in order to request the university admission. If you wish to improve this score, you should once again take the PCE exam and once again request this service. The PCE is only used for the calculation of the admission score for certain students, according to question 13.

b)For the university admission phase, the validity of the PCE is two academic course years. In this phase, depending on the admission criteria of each university, the student may earn up to 4 additional points that are directly calculated by the destination university. In this case, they should only re-take the PCE if they wish to improve the score of the courses for their assessment by the destination university.

c)In order to accredit a Bachillerato mode, the PCE or tests taken in the UNED during the year of the convening and the two previous course years shall be taken into consideration. In this case, it is not necessary to re-take the PCE tests that were already passed.

20) How can the Recognition of subject service be of use?

This service is only available for students from the European Union having studies that are equivalent to the Baccalaureate. In the case in which the university where the student wishes to study permits the recognition of subjects, the student does not need to take the Specific Competency Tests for those courses that they have passed in the assessment tests of the education system where they originate. For more information on recognition of subjects see this link.

21) The document that I obtain from the computer application is only of informative value. Can I obtain a CERTIFICATE or valid document for my Accreditation?

The digital Accreditation UNEDasiss document is available for Spanish universities through the digital platform UNEDasiss, therefore, the certificate is not required. Only if you are going to start studies in certain university centers or outside Spain, you will need the digital document. To obtain an accreditation certificate you will have to access the "Vouchers" box of your application and click on the DOWNLOAD CERTIFICATE button, you will have to pay the 35.86 euros fee online, then you can generate the "C. Oficial" with a Secure Verification Code.

22) I am a student from an education system outside of the Spanish system. Can I take the EBAU through UNEDasiss?

No. Only students from the Spanish education system in centres located abroad and from the CIDEAD may take the EBAU at the UNED. LStudents from education systems outside of the Spanish system who need to take the EBAU because it is a requisite of the university that they wish to attend may request to take the Specific Competency Tests (PCE) for the following courses:

• All of the general core course areas: History of Spain, Spanish Language and Literature and Language (selecting either English or French).
• A core course from the modality: selecting from Mathematics, Mathematics Applied to the Social Sciences, Latin or Fundamentals of Art.
• Optionally: a maximum of two core course options, according to the core course of the selected modality.

23) My Accreditation is provisional. Why? When shall it no longer be considered provisional?

There are two cases in which the Accreditation is considered provisional:

a)Students from the United Kingdom, Scotland or Ireland that have presented predictions of scores for the calculation of the admission score. In this case, the Accreditation shall no longer be provisional when they send UNEDasiss the final results.

b)Students pending the homologation of their Spanish Baccalaureate studies. In this case, the Accreditation shall no longer be provisional, once the student has presented UNEDasiss with the homologated document.

It is very important that the destination university be consulted regarding whether or not they permit the provisional Accreditation and the period in which they should have the definitive Accreditation.